Back when singers were songwriters and songwriters were poets who used music as a way to deliver wisdom, “Love the one you’re with,” has been a classic. Love applies to commitment to our jobs as well. Like the right loved one, jobs provide us with more than just a paycheck. They give us self-respect, skills and a reason to get up in the morning. Though we may be committed to our jobs, (or not see a better one on the horizon), these tips will help make your commitment stronger.
1. Your boss is just a human being with good days and bad. Treat her like one. Listen carefully to her verbal and non-verbal cues but don’t assume the worst. Ask clearly as to what is expected of you. Negotiate for more of the work you want. Make her look good. Be the least needy of her reports.
2. Build relationships with your co-workers. Have fun. Do good deeds. Draw a line to help you remember they are colleagues.
3. Banish Whining. Find the cheery gang at the office and hang with them. Negativity is like a ‘zukaam.’ It’s contagious.
4. Tackle the hard stuff on your to-do list first. Procrastinating makes you feel worse and reduces the trust others place in you.
5. Lastly, Energy. Buzz. Find ways to laugh. Think positive. Exercise. Watch out for the positive energy you create, because it spreads.
So, put on a smile and go get a project update, face-to-face. It’ll be a double-shot hitting #2 and #5 all in one go.
» Career » Love the Job you’re with